Monday, September 15, 2014

Bus Stuff.

Did you know that the Indian Trails buses out of the UP (Upper Peninsula) have wifi? AND outlets in front of every seat? Neither did I!  I was very pleasantly surprised.  In fact, the Indian Trails buses were the nicest ones I rode during my two-day trip to Montana.  And all that leg room! I wish I would have known how cramped & crowded my last two buses were going to be so I would have appreciated my space more while I had it.

I learned a lot about bus travel along the way.  And I learned a lot about myself, too.  Or maybe I just learned about how other people view me.  Either way,  I seemed to learn quite a bit...

Tips for a better bus-traveling experience:
(Feel free to skip this section if you aren't planning on traveling by bus anytime soon.) ;)
--First, if you wanna get things done fast & efficiently without the whole ripping-your-hair-out, gritting-your-teeth, pissing-and-moaning because that stupid automated lady on the other end of the line keeps repeating herself and then asking you to repeat yourself because she "didn't quite get that," do yourself a favor, and just take your lazy ass down to the nearest bus station (or have Grama drive you) & do it all in person.  Seriously.  I tried to do things online, and that experience was horrible.  And then I tried calling, and that was even worse. And then my mother (have I mentioned how SMART that lady is? We should really listen to our mothers more) suggested I just go to the bus station and have them help me figure out the best route, how much it was going to cost, and what to do about my extra baggage.  And when I did, it was a breeze.  So easy! And no hair-pulling, teeth-grinding, or cussing required.  Amen, alleluia.
--I mentioned baggage.  I had to have two bags because one had all of my clothes, toiletries, books etc. in it & the other one is my breather.  (I hear they're working on a more portable therapy vest for active people with CF.  Thank God, because that thing isn't exactly easy to travel with considering it weighs about 40lbs and is anything but "light-weight.") Anyway, I had two bags plus my carry-on and with the cost of your bus ticket you get one carry-on and one piece of luggage 50lbs or less that rides underneath.  Explain your situation, and you just might get to take your carry-on AND your breather on the bus with you.  I said "medical equipment" and the (super-nice) bus driver (in fact, all of my bus drivers were VERY amicable) said "Oh, we'll just call that your carry-on." & when I explained to him that I already had a carry-on, he said "We'll call that one your 'purse' and the medical equipment your carry-on." Mind you, that thing is no carry-on sized piece of equipment; he said it like he was winking at me.  Just be honest & pleasant and people will be more likely to happily assist you.
--Sit in the emergency exit row.  Just like an airplane, you will have way more leg room.
--The buses (only God knows why) are usually uncomfortably cold.  I was wearing pants, socks, shoes, a long-sleeved shirt, a zip-up hoodie, a jacket & a scarf, and I was still cold. So unless you want to freeze, I suggest you dress warm.  And I highly recommend wearing a scarf as well.  One of the large ones that can double as a blanket like mine did numerous times throughout my ride(s).
--If you can, SLEEP.  Especially if you're traveling at night; it makes the time go much faster.
--When you travel far distances, chances are you will have a layover or two.  Take advantage of them! See the sites! Or at least walk to the coffee shop & used bookstore down the street for a bagel & "hot scotch" (hot chocolate with butterscotch; it was SO yummy!) But don't be late getting back to the station for your connection.  Give yourself at least a half-hour before boarding time.
--If you're bored, talk to people. Say hi.  Don't be dumb and give out too much information about yourself, but say hello, tell them your name, strike up a conversation.  Having bus-buddies is fun! Trust me, I made quite a few.

Here's where my self-discoveries started.  More often than not, the first question I got asked after stating that I'm 26  was, "Are you married?" Followed by, "Do you have children." To which I always replied  no, I am not & I do not.   This, apparently, is flabbergasting.  People just don't understand.  Sherry, my grandparents' friend who suffered a brain aneurism years ago & has short-term memory loss, asks the same questions repeatedly (every ten minutes & all day long!) & one of her favorites is, "Are you a married lady, Addie Behm?"  And  when I tell her I am not, and in fact don't even have a boyfriend, she always says with a huge smile on her face, without fail, "Well what's the matter with you, Addie Behm!?" This is exactly what those confused looks on my bus-buddies faces are asking, without saying the words.

I don't ever explain myself too much, because what is there to say to these people? I'm just not (married). I just don't (have kids).  Maybe this realization is less about me, and more about other people.  People today think someone like me, at my age, should be married with children. Those are both beautiful things, and maybe they'll happen for me someday when the time is right, but for now I just want to drive.

A realization that actually is about me:  I look like a super trustworthy, amazing advice-giving, super secret-keeping priest of sorts.  I must, because people feel the need to open up to me, ask me for advice, tell me their secrets, and confess their sins to me.  I learned more about JoAnne & her job as a demolition lady, her brother who wants her to come visit him in Montana but will be mad that he has to pay for their vacation to Canada, and her daughter who gave JoAnne five grandchildren (all boys) than I asked to learn, but I don't mind, of course. It's kind of flattering that people feel comfortable opening up to me.  I don't know what to tell Frank about his sister's random phone call (she usually only calls on his birthday) or how to best sympathize with him over his friend drinking again (although I have no idea why he called him his "friend." Friends don't cause one another to hide in dumpsters to avoid a beating from said "friend")   But I listen, and nod my head, and say a word or two now and then, and that's enough for people. And it's enough for me, too. :)

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this. And Addie, I COMPLETELY agree with you. I get those same questions and looks, almost as if it's so ingrained in society to have to be or have any of those things. It seems as if people have forgotten that there is an art to knowing who you are without someone, too. And that not everyone is on the same pathway as people in tv shows are. I mean, at the very least, give it 'til 31 or 32 to look flabbergasted! No one on FRIENDS was married until that time, anyway. ;) <3 !

    ReplyDelete